Yes, you really do need to stretch, because it is important to your overall well being. The benefits are endless.
- You’ll prevent injury and relieve pain. It is know that stretching increases your range of motion, it takes pressure off your joints and allows your body to move more fluidly.
- You will improve your circulation by increasing blood flow to your muscles. Better circulation helps your body recover faster by removing waste by products in the muscle tissue.
- You will relieve stress and help you calm your mind and reduce stress levels. When you feel anxious, worried , or just plain worn down, it place extra strain on your body. By stretching to unwind you can relieve that tension .
- You will improve flexibility in your calves, hamstrings and shoulders, relieve lower back pain and elongate your cervical spine, which relieves tension in the body and head.
- You will improve flexibility in your hips and quadriceps, release the psoas, which is a part of a group of muscles called the hip flexors. Tightness of the psoas can result in lower back pain by compressing the lumbar discs
- You will increase flexibility in your glutes as well as help knee joints properly align during activity and help prevent sudden twist and allow for easier external rotation of the hips.
- You will lengthen and realign you spine as well as stimulate the digestive system,reducing the risk of shoulder injury by improving flexibility in the rotator cuff and posterior capsule. Improve range of motion in the shoulder as well.
Make sure you do at least a 5 minute cool down stretch after your workouts. I also highly recommend you take stretch classes once or twice per week, not yoga, not Pilates, actual stretch classes and or get you a stretch coach for stand alone assisted stretch sessions.
Stay fit for life! Nate, the doctor of stretch.
Join a fitness program for a longer life so click here: http://www.natestretchandmore.com/programs.html